My Honda CM400T (Or E)

My Honda CM400T (Or E)
This is how my bike looked upon purchase.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Canadian Tire, Zen and the Pursuit of Happiness

I need to begin saying that this second day working on the bike was much more successful that the previous one. First, I adjusted my expectations. If I can squeeze out 30 minutes to work on the bike during the week, I feel lucky. So the amount I can accomplish will be small. Second, in doing this I want it to be enjoyable and relaxing. Thus, I need to be mindful of my approach at all times.


This led me think more about my theme of zen. Now, I believe that a zen state can be achieved several ways. First and perhaps the most famous is through meditation. While I pray on occasion, I don’t see myself as one for sitting still, let alone sitting still with my eyes closed, trying to force out thoughts by concentrating on a lotus flower.


Thankfully, a zen state can be achieved through repetitive, non-verbal activities. I study traditional, Okinawan karate. Traditional karate is not like ‘North American’ karate. The focus is on repetitive movement in kata. If you think of martial arts as being on a continuum, traditional Meibukan Karate is closer Tai Chi than to Mixed Martial Arts fighting. It is an excellent way to maintain fitness and reduce stress. (If you want to know more about this type of karate, see the Meibukan Karate link on the right.)


A zen state can also be achieved by remaining completely mindful of your activities and staying ‘in the now’. This state of mind is a great remedy for stress.


It is third way of attaining a state of zen that I hope to achieve in my work on the motorcycle. Because this is a new activity, it is actually easy to remain in the now, as my mind is focused on problem solving at every turn, in little things and in big.


In a small way, I felt I achieved that today in the short time I had to work on the bike. I look over the fuel line and a few other small items. I also wanted to take out the battery so I could have it tested. Needless to say, after my experience with the license plate, I was a little hesitant about the battery, especially since my manual says it can be tricky to remove.


However, it popped out easily.


I took it into Canadian Tire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Tire) and had it tested. Despite sitting outside for most of our Ontario winter, it tested fine, but obviously needed charging. Great! I had been worried that I might have to buy a new battery. There is $75 not spent.


Sort of.


Now, if you aren’t Canadian, you probably don’t know Canadian Tire (CT for short). When my brother-in-law, who is an American from Boston and rides a BMW R1200GS, first came to

Canada, he thought CT sold only tires. Poor deprived man…


Canadian Tire is actually a shrine to all things mechanical, automotive, etc.


Anyway, I was in CT to have the battery tested. That was a free service. Wily bunch, they are. Because of course, I am now in the store, thinking about my bike and realizing I need more tools (Remember the license plate?). So, I start up and down the aisles... Just looking.


Needless to say, the cost for the bike project just went up.


But not by much, though. Because when CT has sales, they have great sales. A set of eight Stanley metric combination wrenches and a large set of over 40 Mastercraft screwdrivers (Including various torx drivers) made their way home with me. Both with lifetime guarantees and supposedly ‘professional grade’…


We’ll see.


So the free battery check cost me $42 CAD in tools.


My total expenditure on the bike is now $413 CAD.


I really don’t know if that is living in a state of zen, but it sure made for an enjoyable evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment