My Honda CM400T (Or E)

My Honda CM400T (Or E)
This is how my bike looked upon purchase.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Time Flies When You're Having Fun

Time passes at odd intervals. There is no such thing as a constant flow of time. Today, while cleaning out the carburetors with my father-in-law, time passed very rapidly. Removing and cleaning the mufflers, again time seemed to move quickly. The rest of the day seemed to drag however.

One thing that I had not considered when I started this was the amount of time I might spend in finding and getting parts for the bike. I have never owned such an old vehicle, so I had never considered this very much. Now, I am lucky in that I work close to the oldest motorcycle dealer in Canada. They deal in Hondas and claim they can deal with older bikes. They have parts fiches on-line, which have helped a great deal. That said I have the feeling I will spend more time looking for parts than I will in actually installing them.

I had good news in cleaning the carbs. First, they were relatively clean. Second, everything inside looked good, with nothing bent, chipped or pitted. We decided the change the float valve needles just to be sure, but everything else looked fine. The outside was gunky, so I cleaned it up with a toothbrush and some cleaner.

Each day I work on the bike, I begin to realize what a deal I got!


No comments:

Post a Comment